Advancing Racial Equity in Education
All students deserve an excellent education. In order to ensure that every student has access to a high quality school experience, systems of education must be equitable.
Awareness: Learn the history of systemic racism in this country and develop a common understanding of key terms that will leverage the ability to act
Examine: Interrogate internal belief systems and understand and acknowledge internal bias and how biases impact daily actions
Acknowledge: Evaluate and assess the equity of current policies, practices and daily interactions
Action: With current knowledge base, shift policies, practices and interactions
Analysis: Understand data and trends taking into account demographics, academics and behaviors
Instruction: Teach educational equity as a framework that provides every student the same access to opportunities, resources, and educational rigor
Curriculum: Design, implement, monitor and evaluate to ensure culturally relevant, diverse and inclusive content
Systems & Processes
Strategic: Adjust mission & vision
Human Resources: Evaluate hiring, employee handbook
Community: Improve Engagement and involvement
Professional Development: Develop appropriate onboarding and ongoing practices
Racism Prevention with Kickboard + Overcoming Racism
The partnership between Overcoming Racism and Kickboard combines over twenty years of experience leading successful PBIS and race and equity initiatives in schools. Matthew Kincaid, the founder of Overcoming Racism, has been leading anti-racism work since 2004.
Together, Overcoming Racism and Kickboard are the education community’s top resource for:
- Establishing Systemic Equity and Practices
- Centering students’ education in their cultural identity
- Maximizing culturally responsive instruction & leadership to transform educational opportunities, access and outcomes for every student
- Ensuring equity by recognizing, respecting, and attending to the diverse strengths and challenges of the students
- Increasing & improving cultural awareness of all teachers, administrators and staff
- Reducing suspension rates, increasing student happiness, and improving schools’ academic performance
For over 15 years, Overcoming Racism has collaborated with educators across twelve districts and over 100 schools. When implemented with fidelity, Overcoming Racism’s program has been proven to reduce suspensions, increase student happiness, and improve academic performance.