Kickboard and Haley Responsive Education Corporation (HREC) have partnered together to perform the following professional development called “The Leadership Imperative: Fueling Equity and Antiracism”. The focus of the training is for Central Office Administrators & Educational Leaders.
It is well documented that racism and inequities have a deep rooted history in every facet of our society, including within our school systems. While our nation has come a long way since operating openly segregated schools, students from particular ethnic groups continue to underperform and are disproportionately overrepresented in the data categories associated with negative outcomes (dropouts, failures, suspensions, disciplinary actions, etc.). Deficit thinking remains a prominent feature that undergirds assumptions about children and families of color and poverty, and systems that perpetuate inequities are often not challenged as a part of the problem as much as factors associated with particular students (i.e., issues of race, class, etc.). Leaders and teams that are poised and ready to take on matters of racism and equity head on by creating a vision of antiracism with related policies, practices and ideas will create change more rapidly across their district. A coach will support and facilitate phase 1 in the evolutionary change process while working with leaders to envision the possibilities and develop plans for moving towards creating an anti-racist and equitable environment.
- Little understanding of the history and language of equity and antiracism that is complicating efforts to create a district- or campus-wide vision and lead change.
- Faculty and staff have little knowledge of racism and equity in schools, and are not sure how to lead from awareness to action in order to implement anti-racist policies and practices.
- Unclear path for how to start the journey towards ensuring the creation of an equitable environment for all.
- Lack of time and prioritization of designing structures, strategies and systems to bring a focus on equity and bring antiracism to scale.
- Understanding of the history and foundational principles of racism and antiracism as applied to educational leadership.
- Articulation of why you personally believe that change is necessary at the district/school and an initial vision statement for creating an anti-racist educational environment.
- Ability to evaluate current state of the district or campus against the Power and Purpose Continuum™ and set a vision for growth.
- Capacity to apply foundational principles and practices that will assist you in creating equity and activating anti-racist policies and ideas through a strategic focus on self, others, and systems.
- Applications of equity and antiracism to district/campus improvement plans.
- Virtual planning meetings; 2 Full-Day (6hr) in person sessions OR Virtual option-3 days 4hr each