Remote (Eastern and Central time zones preferred)
Reporting to: Chief Product and Engineering Officer
At Kickboard, we’re looking for an ambitious, thoughtful and experienced software engineer to lead our growing engineering team. In this role, you’ll be fully responsible for the engineering side of our company, including engineering process, architecture, team management, recruitment, and growth.
This could be a perfect fit if...
- You enjoy the technical challenge of improving the quality and architecture of a legacy PHP codebase to meet the needs of modern software applications
- The opportunity to step into a leadership role, to help fellow engineers develop new skills and advance in their careers, and still be able to roll up your sleeves and write code alongside your team excites you
- Your team describes you as someone who knows when to let them work through problems, when to jump in to help, and what questions to ask to create clarity and forward motion
- You want to build technology that helps educators create transformative learning environments for their students
Kickboard works to give educators the tools they need to create safe and happy schools where students and staff thrive. Promoting equity is a priority for Kickboard both internally and within the schools we serve, and we are intentional about creating a diverse and inclusive environment for teammates to do their best work.
- In the first 12 months, you’ll likely spend 75% of your time on software development, and 25% on people and process management. That ratio should shift in year 2.
- Write code every day. Develop, test, and deploy features across the entire stack
- Manage the agile development process
- Lead the charge on automation, continuous integration, and security
- Lead a distributed team of full stack engineers
- Recruit, build and scale the engineering team, with support from HR
- Shape and define the engineering culture
- Collaborate closely with our product team to define, plan, and prioritize our product roadmap
- Network externally and attend/present/host at local meetups and national conferences to help build our brand awareness
Your technical expertise includes…
If you have some but not all of this experience, we encourage you to apply anyway.
- Developing, maintaining and scaling SaaS web applications using an Object Oriented framework and typical database infrastructure
- Developing with PHP especially around web APIs
- Migrating services to AWS or similar cloud services
- Familiarity with administering Linux based cloud hosted servers
- Adoption of continuous integration and automated deployment
- Working with git or other version control software
- Enthusiasm for incorporating testing methodologies
Your management/leadership expertise includes...
- Leading agile/scrum teams
- Taking complex ideas/features and creating realistic plans/schedule for team to adhere to
- Technical planning and drafting technical requirements from business requirements
- Performing code reviews to ensure quality for entire project
- Keeping a remote team on the same page and motivated
- Mentoring and growing a team of high-achieving, curious engineers
- Competitive salary and stock options
- Work alongside colleagues who love to learn and grow
- Comprehensive health insurance plan
- 401(k) retirement plan
- Generous parental leave policy
- Three weeks paid vacation plus 10 company holidays
How to apply:
Please submit your resume and a cover letter that addresses the following:
- Why you want to be Lead Engineer at Kickboard
- The team you’re most proud of supporting, and your role in helping it succeed
Equal Opportunity Employer
Kickboard is a strong team because of the diverse backgrounds of our staff. This includes professional background, domain expertise, culture, race/ethnicity, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, language, political beliefs, and hobbies. We strongly encourage women, minorities, and people from underrepresented backgrounds to apply. Kickboard will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records, pursuant to applicable law.
View all open positions